Egnatia Odos motorway connects the port of Igoumenitsa to the northwest of Greece, with the Evros Kippi for entry to Turkey to the northeast. The name “Egnatia” has a historical reference to the road connecting Rome to Constantinople, crossing the same geographical areas as the modern Egnatia. It is 670km long, it passes through 11 major cities in Greece and connects 4 ports and 6 airports. It has 63 interchanges, 177 bridges with a total length of 40km and 73 twin tunnels with a total length of 50km.
Algosystems undertook the development, installation, configuration and commissioning of the following:
- Integration of open road SCADA and tunnel subsystems in 26 twin tunnels.
- Emergency IP Telephony
- IP CCTV system
- Optical fiber network and active network elements in tunnels and open road
- Linear fire detection system
- Pollutant detection systems
- Three local control centers incorporated into a Central Traffic Control Center
The development of a modern Traffic Management System on a 60km motorway between Arachthos at grade junction and Panagia at grade junction is also included. The Egnatia system handles 810 different traffic scenarios and 1632 different traffic control phases.